My photo
Hedonist. Adventurer, Artist, Photographer, Poet, Revolutionary.

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

On the streets for the day - street art photoblog

Again, I ventured out onto the streets alone for the day seeking street art and amazing sights. I wandered for a bit, trying to find good graffiti, finally stumbled upon the mother load: May Lane. I walked back and forth in awe. Gawking as much as snapping photos, only half conscious that I was blocking traffic as I crouched in the road to get the shots I wanted.







































After I got everything I could find, I've dropped in to the St. Peters train station to catch a ride into the city and hopefully board a ferry across the harbor to the city of Manly.

Got off in downtown Sydney where I walked around looking for things to do before I jumped on the boat. First I had a quick look around Hyde Park then walked across the street to the Catholic Cathederal. A chill overtook me as I stepped in the door; I probably should have run away screaming, but instead I pushed on. High arches carved of stone framed stained glass murals depicting bible myths. The lighting was bad, but the glow from flat screen-tvs on almost every ancient massive pillar made up for the lamps. Sculptures and paintings of famous xtian heroes filled out the rest of the space. Clergy stood huddled in corners, whispering to one another. A few people sat in the pews mumbling to themselves but most everyone there was taking pictures. I joined the photogs. There was an underground crypt, but it cost $5, and I didn't want to give any money to the Catholics, so I continued my journey.


Hyde Park









Walking out of the massive doors I was facing the "Australian Museum" went to take a look but I knew I didn't want to spend a lot of time there, since the main plan for the day was to go to Manly. It cost $12 for admission, figured I'd go a different day and devote more time to it.

Next stop was the "Sydney Barracks" a building that was built by and housed Australias first white settlers, the convincts of 'the first fleet'. I went through the free section of the museum, buy stopped at the point where I would have had to pay $10... Perhaps I'm just cheap.

I walked past the New South Wales parliament building and thought, "Hell, why not pay the government a visit, tell them hello". So I strolled in the door and was directed to the metal detector. I put my camera bag and phone through the Xray machine and marched confidently through the metal detector. BUZZZZZ!!! Red lights went off and the whole deal. They asked if i had anything in my pockets. "A few coins, or maybe my belt."

"no it wouldn't be your belt, or just a few coins, do you have any other metal on you? Maybe those boots are steel-capped?"

I poked my soft-toe with my finger "Nope, they're not and that's all I have"

"Oh, weird, ok, never mind, go ahead."

I stared at the guy... Did I really just buzz a metal detector going into the parliament building for the whole state and was passed through by saying I didn't have anything on me that should set off the thing?

I asked if I should go through again, he declined and said have a nice day. I was floored.






some other fancy building I went into but got bored by.

After touring the parliament bulding, I made my way down to the harbor where I paid $12 for a round trip ferry ride to Manly... Next thing you know; I'm on a boat!









I'm stunned by the amazing views of Sydney and the harbor along the way. Then we pulled into Manly. I got off the ferry and was taken aback by how expensive and touristy the city looked immediately. I made my way to the Manly Art Gallery which was free, but incredibly small. Saw some good art then made my way back out on the town. I tried to find the fairy penguins which breed on Manly Beach but they were nowhere to be seen. I figured they're off duty for the winter. (it is winter here you fucking Yanks) The beach was nice, I tried to make my way to the bluffs but got a little confused and just went back to the downtown area. What I found there was a tourist trap of epic proportions so I quickly fled back to the ferry after just 2 and a half hours in the city. I decided Sydney was definitely more my speed.




Manly Beach


The boat ride back was nice, I made friends with a lady from China who was travelling Australia for a bit. She was very sweet, we talked about her dreams to send her daughter to the US for college and my work - job and art, both.



Off the boat I caught a train back to the Figure Eight Warehouse where I prepared a sushi feast for the whole house, and stuffed myself with the delicious goodness.

2 comments:

  1. hey look, i got a blogspot account. maybe i'll make that blog i keep talking about, on radicalism + medicine ...

    your pictures are great - the ones of manly island look pretty touristy, and are not my favorites of yours, but that could just be the subject material. the graffiti there is great .. my favorite is the woman on the corrugated steel door.

    looking forward to more posts and pictures ..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Fritz,

    It's Yvette/creditcardcurls/etc etc et fucking cetera. Too many usernames.

    Anyway, I stopped by here to see if you'd already been to Melbourne. Those pictures you took of the graffiti are awesome. My cousin (Elise) would loooove them. When you *are* in Melbourne, I will definitely have to introduce you two.

    Unless, yeah. You've already *been* to Melbourne. In which case you'll have to leave the horrible Sydney and return... :D

    ReplyDelete