My photo
Hedonist. Adventurer, Artist, Photographer, Poet, Revolutionary.

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Exploring the City

After a horrible headache kept me out of commission for part of the day, I went out last night to see what the city had in store after dark. Mounted on bikes, helmets on, lights affixed, saftey orange reflective vest fastened... I was taken on a tour of the city's refuse. The urban treasure chests provided quite a haul for the local freegans - enough fuel to run their bodies for days. We were the heroes of the house when we came back with two overflowing bikes worth of delicious goodies: ahh, to live off the fat of the land...

Today I woke up to a kings breakfast and joined up with another traveler, a Kiwi jungle producer who I went to explore the town with. He knew where the alleys with the good street art were, and I knew where the train stations where he could record samples of all kinds of interesting urban sounds. It was a good mix. We wandered the city for a bit, recording and taking pictures and finally made our way to the main street where we decided to stop for a cup of coffee. I knew the cafe where one of our house mates worked, so we went off in search of it. Turns out I needed a bit of a refresher, but we did successfully find the place and came in for a cup of joe.

A cup of coffee in Australia is nothing like coffee in America. There is no drip coffee, just espresso and cappuccino: basically, the fancy stuff. I had a black shot, as I do, and my Kiwi friend had one 'white' - with cream.

Our working mate got off before long at all, and we mysteriously found ourselves walking into a nearby pub. We had been joined by another local and found ourselves enjoying a few rounds of beers. I've now established which local beers I like - or, at least which ones are dark; my preference.

Back to the warehouse for some home made dinner, and a quick jaunt online. Who knows what the rest of the night has in store.

No comments:

Post a Comment